No doubt you have seen the tents and green fencing occupying the northeast corner of campus, at the AYSO fields and the outdoor amphitheatre. All the hoopla is for the Bakersfield Business Conference this Saturday, Oct. 9, a festival famous for its speaker lineup which will include Sarah Palin, Mitt Romney, Karl Rove, Laura Bush, Goldie Hawn and Paul Rodriguez. For more information about the Business Conference, visit www.bpcbakbusconf.com.
While CSUB is not involved in organizing the conference (it is being put on by local law firm Borton Petrini LLP), both the University Police Department and the Bakersfield Police Department are working with the organizers to direct traffic and provide security during the event.
CSUB will remain open during the conference for students, staff and faculty to use the campus facilities. Also, the CSUB Music Department is hosting the first concert of its new Guitar Arts Series on Saturday evening at 7 p.m. in the Music Building, Room 127.
In order to accommodate all of these activities in the safest and most organized fashion, the two police departments have issues the following rules.
(Click here for a map of the campus and surrounding roadways.)
• Parking Lot A is closed until the week after the conference. A decomposed granite area south of Kroll Way is available for temporary parking through today, Oct. 7, and again next week. However, it will NOT be available for parking on Friday, Oct. 8, when that area will be closed for event preparations. Next week, as the tents are removed, there will still be activity on Kroll Way that may cause traffic delays. Consider an alternate route into campus on Monday, Oct. 11.
• During the Business Conference on Oct. 9, students, staff and faculty coming to campus for school-related purposes and who have quarterly or yearly permits will be allowed to park in Lot J. You can access Lot J from Southwest Drive (off Camino Media) to Student Way. If you are planning to attend the conference please park elsewhere on campus; you will not be permitted in Lot J.
• Attendees of the Guitar Arts Series concert the evening of Oct. 9 may park in the Doré Theatre Lots (B and C) where all attempts will be made to accommodate you. If those lots are full, attendees may park in Lots G, F or J.
Getting to Campus:
• On Oct. 9, from 6 a.m. to 7 p.m. the eastbound lanes of Stockdale Highway to the front of CSUB will be reduced from three lanes to one lane. Motorists are encouraged to seek alternate routes during these hours as traffic delays near the campus are expected.
• Westbound traffic on Stockdale Highway will remain open; however, motorists will not be able to turn south on Don Hart Drive (both East and West) as the turn lanes will also be closed.
• Persons attending the Business Conference will be able to access parking on the CSUB campus via Gosford Road/Kroll Way or Camino Media/Roadrunner Drive. There will be limited parking available – including Lots B and C for the Guitar Arts concertgoers – to be accessed from eastbound Stockdale Highway at Don Hart West.