If you go to only one CSUB men’s basketball game this season, then Feb. 16 should be it. Not only are we playing our Valley rivals, the Fresno State Bulldogs, but both the Athletics and Student Affairs divisions have been working hard behind the scenes to make this the most entertaining, surprising, and spirit raising event of the year.
This is one of the last games our men’s team will play at Rabobank Arena before they return to CSUB’s Icardo Center next year. The game starts at 7 p.m. at 1001 Truxtun Ave. CSUB students get in FREE with their student ID cards.
Most notably, five lucky students will have a chance to win cash prizes just by being in attendance. Random names will be drawn for one $1,000 prize and four $250 prizes – all you have to do is be present to win and show your student ID.
The newly electrified Blue Crew Spirit Club will be in full force, with Sections 105 and 106 reserved for students. The first 100 students to arrive at the game will receive free Blue Crew T-shirts to show their spirit.
Other activities and entertainment on tap:
- Pre-Game Hangout – Goose Loonies, 816 18th St., is offering happy hour specials including half-off pizza and $2 off appetizers before the game.
- Homecoming – Meet the court of nominees on the concourse and submit your votes for king and queen. (Winners will be announced at the Homecoming Dance on Feb. 19.)
- Good Cause – Bring a new or gently used coat or jacket to donate to Goodwill Industries and receive a free medium soda.
- Ag Night – Future Farmers of America (FFA) students will lead a trivia game, “Are you smarter than an FFA member,” and a kiss the pig contest.
- Half-time Fun – The TNT Dunk Squad will perform acrobatic basketball moves, students will get a chance to win $10,000 in the Motor City Shoot Out, and the CSUB Cheerleaders will entertain the crowd.
- Post-game Put-back – Goose Loonies will offer more specials, where you can join the men’s basketball team, coaching staff, cheerleaders and fans for a post-game meal.
Students can pick up their free tickets to the Feb. 16 game beginning Feb. 9 at the Student Union front desk. If they run out, don’t worry. Students can simply show up to Rabobank Arena with their ID and get in for free.
For faculty, staff and the greater Bakersfield community, tickets are $25 for floor seating, $12 for mid-court reserve, $9 for general reserve adults and $5 for general reserve youth 17 and under. Group rates are $4 each for groups of 15 or more and $3 each for groups of 50 or more. For tickets, call 661-654-BLUE (2583).
CSUB is mid-way through our first year as a NCAA Division I competitor. Our success rests partly on the campus community to show our support for our athletic teams. Conferences are looking for schools that have spirit and a strong fan base for game attendance. Let’s show potential conferences we’ve got what it takes to be a DI school! Go ‘Runners!
– Jennifer Baldwin, CSUB Public Affairs Coordinator